Thursday, July 28, 2005

OffTopic: Things I've Learned While Blogging

I've learned that the frum community is not nearly as homogenous as I thought (and I didn't think it was all that homogenous to begin with).

That there is a place where people can express their ideas, have them put to the test of public criticism and be able to react to those criticisms.

That most of my traffic comes from the same twenty or so sites. Except...

For some reason, every third or fourth day, I'll get a bunch of hits from other Blogspot blogs with absolutely no connection to my blog, Judaism or any other subject that I have any interest in. None of these blogs reference my blog at all. I might think that it's someone randomly clicking through the "Next Blog" button, but it's always about 40-50 hits, and all the hits come together... not randomly distributed through the day, as you would expect.

That certain features don't work well with the template I've chosen, but I'm not going to change it because it's too much trouble.

That blogging takes more of your time than I thought it would... and I'm not a particularly active poster (2-3 posts a week).

That frum Jews, like the rest of humanity, has our share of people who cannot be reasoned with.

That no one has bought any shares of my blog on Blogshares.

That it's not easy to keep track of all the comments that you leave on other people's blogs.

That there are people who have some of the same thoughts and feelings that I have had but kept quiet about for a long time.

The Wolf

14 comments:

Lyss said...

You make many good points, especially the one about keeping track of comments you make on other people's blogs.

PsychoToddler said...

I agree totally.

Whatever point of view you have about a given topic, you will find someone out there who agrees with you.

And many people who disagree.

And Orthodoxy is far from monolithic.

and so it shall be... said...

jeiwsh stuff aside, i'm so pleased to know that i'm not the only egomaniac frantically trolling around trying to remeber where I left comments and wondering if anyone responded.

i wish there were a program that tracked comments left in a day. That would be cool. Anyone? Any insights?

Zoe Strickman said...

I was wondering about that blogshares thing. What's the story with it? Do people actually take it seriously?

Orthoprax said...

Wolf,

"For some reason, every third or fourth day, I'll get a bunch of hits from other Blogspot blogs with absolutely no connection to my blog..."

Yeah, I get that too. Wacky.

Anonymous said...

Fact is the vast majority of frum Jews have the basic same view.In Chassidic circles each group has its basic idea and lifestyle,in Yeshivash crowd same thing and lets face it.No real frum Jew would support the liberal agend other than some modern orthodox types.Yes you may have a handful of strays who for some strange reason embrace certain secular ideas but among the real black hat streimel crowd they are all right leaning.That's the facts and the few blogs here are no reflection of the overwhelming majority of the black hat community.You know that and thats the truth Wolf.

BrooklynWolf said...

Heshy,

You stated: Yes you may have a handful of strays who for some strange reason embrace certain secular ideas but among the real black hat streimel crowd they are all right leaning.

Are you stating that only the "black hat streimel crowd" are the frum community (to the exclusion of everyone else)?

The Wolf

Anonymous said...

I am stating that the vast majority of frum is either black hat or streimel crowd.THE KNITTED YAMULKA AND T shirt types are a thing of the past.Their kids will either be more observant or non observant.That is the future.

BrooklynWolf said...

I don't know how accurate you are in that assessment, Heshy.

And there is a whole range of people between black-hat and knitted kippa/t-shirt types as well. I don't wear T-shirts (except to bed or for dirty housework) and I don't wear a knitted kippa either -- but neither am I "black hat." There are a lot more of "us" than you think.

The Wolf

M-n said...

I think the martian referalls are from someone clicking "Next Blog" in the blogger page header.

BrooklynWolf said...

That's what I thought, except, as I explained in my post, if that were the case, you'd have the randomly distributed throughout the day. However, they appear as a block of 30-40 hits, all together.

The Wolf

bluke said...

Wolf,

For some reason, every third or fourth day, I'll get a bunch of hits from other Blogspot blogs with absolutely no connection to my blog...

Yeah, I get that also, I have been trying to figure it out as well. It is really weird because it is a whole bunch.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps it's an artifact of blogger's algorithm for choosing the "next" blog.

Reuven Chaim Klein said...

wolfy, check out:
http://blogshares.com/blogs.php?blog=http%3A%2F%2Fwolfishmusings.blogspot.com%2F