Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Personal Request: How to go about getting a Get

No, not for me (thank God).

I have a non-religious relative who divorced her husband a few years ago. While the couple did obtain a civil divorce, they did not obtain a get. This relative of mine (the wife) is looking to move on and would like to obtain a get. Her ex-husband has agreed to give her one.

While they might be able to come into Brooklyn, they would like to have this done in Nassau County if at all possible. Can someone please point me in the direction of a Bais Din who will be able to help.

Lastly, my relative also inquired about the cost of a get. I told her that I had no idea. Any ideas on a ballpark figure of what a get should cost?

Thanks for your help.

The Wolf

EDIT: My relative also included a link to an organization ( Does anyone know anything about them? Reliability?


Anonymous said...

definitely call the RCA bet din (

Anonymous said... is 100% reliable. I know tha's not going to weigh for much in an anonymous blog comment, but look into it. They are a respected Orthodox institution designed to deal with issues precisely like this one.

SuperRaizy said...

anonymous #1 is absolutely right- the RCA beit din (also known as the Beth Din of America) is 100% reliable, professional, and easy to work with. I just referred a non-observant acquaintance to them, and they are helping him and his ex-wife tremendously.
BTW, a get will usually cost about $500-600.

Anonymous said...

I think your mom also suggested the RCA to me..give her a call.

Nice Jewish Guy said...

Get costs about 500 big ones.

WebGirl said...

Contact Dr. Isaac Skolnik at Kayama. Kayama is an organization that does precisely what your relative needs...arranges gets for secular Jews who have civil divorces. They are run by an Orthodox staff and are completely reliable. They will work with the RCA Bais Din as well.