Tuesday, November 25, 2008

OK, Everyone, Let's Just Get Over It

The J-blogosphere seems to be buzzing about the WCBS News story (sorry, not going to link to it... a simple Google search should find it) from last night regarding infidelity in the hasidic community. While the report addresses the hasidic community in Williamsburg, I would not be surprised at all to find that this issue extends to every segment of Orthodox Judaism.

However, I'd like everyone to keep the following in mind: Hasidim (as other Orthodox Jews) are human beings. We all sin in some manner or form. I'm not excusing people who cheat against their spouses, but let's not sit here and pretend that we're shocked (shocked, I tell you!) to find out that this goes on. Anyone who thinks that we are malachim and are incapable of such things is seriously fooling themselves.

Are Orthodox Jews more faithful to their spouses than the general population? I don't know for sure, but if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say yes. But I never would have said that we were perfect, and anyone who is shocked by this piece is simply living in a fantasy world.

The Wolf

5 comments:

Ezzie said...

Saw it, didn't think it was anything special (though I was surprised to see how fast someone had the video up - less than 15 minutes). Nothing new or shocking in there.

Anonymous said...

Man bites dog

The Hedyot said...

I agree. It was kind of moronic. They wasted a good opportunity to tell some very important stories.

SaraK said...

The media just loves to try to exploit frum Jews, especially Hassidim. It was a pretty silly story.

mlevin said...

I saw it and one of the things they mentioned was how it's not widespread.

So, the bottom line, some frum Jews (male and female) cheat on their spouses. Big deal!!!