Friday, January 30, 2009

Orchid

Here's another macro flower shot that I took a while back. My florist allows me to shoot whatever he has in the store while he prepares my flowers.




Canon XSi, 100mm macro lens
f/2.8, 1/25 second
(Note: *Never* shoot handheld [as I did here] at 1/25 with a 100mm lens. You're going to get camera shake. I was *extremely* lucky that this shot came out as clear as it did. I shot this before I knew any better.)

As always, comments, criticisms and critiques are welcome and appreciated.

The Wolf

Previous Photos:
Floral Macro: How Close Can You Get?
Shutter Speed & Light Trails on the Brooklyn Bridge
On The Wings of Gerber Daisies
Sometimes, an Out-of-Focus Shot Works Well Too
The Ghosts Of Grand Central
Third Night
Shooting From A Different Angle
Duck!
Gargantua
Sunflower Arrangement (discussion of lens apertures and depth of field)
Empire (basic discussion of lenses)
Hovering Bee
Sunflower Macro
Statue of Liberty
Trinity Church, September 11, 2008
Manhattan Tulips
Dragonfly

5 comments:

Ezzie said...

Cool... so good it looks like it was made on a computer. :P

SuperRaizy said...

Beautiful, but I would have liked to have seen the flowers that you bought.

Jeff Eyges said...

Wolf, you really do have a serious talent.

Anonymous said...

If you have some way to brace yourself, particularly your arms, you may be OK with macro shots even w/o a tripod. Even something simple like resting the camera on a ledge, table, or beanbag, can help.

Flash (when it doesn't give the wrong visual effect) also freezes the subject.

Anonymous said...

Upping the ASA/ISO sensitivity can also help.

But you have a winner here. Good composition and texture. And up close, it appears alien in a very intriguing way. The world of macro is pretty cool, ain't it?